Friday, June 27, 2008

Hip-Hop Hooray



Today concluded week 2 of Kaia's summer camp. This week's theme was hip-hop...which Kaia thoroughly enjoyed! Reverting back to bragging parent...Kaia's ballet teacher told me yesterday she loves dancing with her and that she's very talented. She also said the hip-hop teacher loves her since she can tell her to do something and Kaia does it very well. The hip-hop teacher told me today to keep her in dance because she's "so good" and that "she'll be famous one day". Hehehehe...yeah, that was nice to hear.

Anyway...this week was better socially for Kais. The means girls were wittled down from 2 to 1...with the remaining one being the instigator. She did hit Kaia in the beginning of the week and now they're friends. I love my daughter's forgiving heart. I really admire Kaia's level of forgiveness. Even though those girls were so mean to her, she continued to be nice and never tried to be anything less than nice to them.

Ms. Social Butterfly has lots of friends...noticeably older ones who all love to pick her up. Hahahaha. There's Sarah who is 9 and wants to adopt Kaia...or at least babysit her. ;o) Sarah & Kaia could not be more opposite...Sarah is tall, blond, & quiet. Kaia...well, you know her. ;o) There's Jordan, who's 5...Lily C. (not sure her age) who likes to carry her...Olivia, 7, who is an APIA little girl and all the kids were calling her and Kaia "twins" (welcome to the South) and Charlie, the mean girl who's wised up and now nice to Kaia. ;o)




Sarah & Kaia

Kaia & Jordan

Charlie, Lily C., & Kaia


Anyhoo, the hip-hop skit was a little questionable. I'm a little worried about how it might have taught these kids (camp is ages 4 to 12) that hip-hop culture is about cool names, hand signs, & poses. Argh...it's camp and each genre is only taught for 5 days. With such a broad range of ages and the emphasis being on the arts, it's not like there's going to be a program that will teach hip-hop with enough respect to the culture.


Last week Kaia was the only person of color. This week was a bit more diverse at least.

Next week we have off. The following will be "High School Musical" for the theme.

Sean was supposed to be gone today but is still here. But not really since he has duty today. Booooooooooo. At least we'll get to talk to him...at some point. ;o)

Jaron's nickname for me is "Girlfriend" or "Boom Boom". I hope he doesn't call me the latter in public. I don't know where he got Boom Boom from...seriously.

Here is a video clip of all the kids...but it's blurry because I switched it to video mode too quickly without refocusing it. I'll be posting the two videos to YouTube. I'm currently working on my next project...buying a new camera!!!! I'd still love a DSLR but will be settling on another P&S until we can afford it!

Mama/Grandma Yuan should enjoy this clip since it's her favorite song...
"Who Let the Dogs Out?"

2 comments:

LY said...

Hah. Maybe he's been listening to some Britney Spears (I got that Boom Boom). ;o)

gl said...

man how cute is this...

(giles)